Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kaiya Lynn Ashby

Kaiya Lynn Ashby
November 8, 2012
3:12 pm
7 lbs 15 oz
20.5 in.

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

*I was INDUCED 2 days after my due date. I wanted to have the epidural BEFORE Kaiya was born. Nothing is worse than wanting an epidural having the it kick in 5 minutes after the baby is born. I did not want to repeat my birth experience with Addie again.

*I started having CONTRACTIONS 5 hours before I was schedule to be induced. The contractions STOPPED about 2 hours before I was scheduled to be induced.

*I have SUPER FAST deliveries once my body starts to dilate. Thankfully I had the epidural done a couple hours before so I didn't have to repeat my Addie experience. I went from 5 cm to delivering Kaiya in 45 minutes. I spent 7 hours prior to that only 4 cm dilated. As soon as my body starts to make progress then it's time for me to have a baby.

*I am BEYOND GRATEFUL that I had the epidural. 5 weeks before Kaiya was born I injured my pelvic area from falling down 5 stairs. I was still feeling the effects of that fall the day before she was born. During the last 45 minutes before Kaiya was born, I was in excruciating pain in the exact same pelvic area. I cannot image how painful that would have been without the epidural numbing all the other pain.

*Kaiya came out in ONE push. Seriously!?!?! I was shocked!!! I remember Blake telling me she was here before I was even finished pushing. I'm pretty lucky.

*For FOUR days after the delivery I had a spinal headache. It was AWFUL and definitely the worst headache I have ever had. It was almost impossible to take care of Kaiya on my own during that time. I had the nurses take Kaiya to the nursery the first night and any time Blake wasn't with me at the hospital. 24 hours later I had a blood patch done to fix the headache and it did very little to relieve my pain. Eventually they gave me a narcotic that relieved the pain for 12 hours. It was back the next morning and that narcotic never worked again to take the pain away.

*Since that headache has disappeared my recovery has been PERFECT!!! I woke up 4 days after Kaiya was born completely pain free. It was perfect timing. Blake had a class to teach on Monday and was gone teaching all day on Tuesday. My body is quickly going back to normal. I haven't had any postpartum depression. (HUGE CHEERS HERE!!) Tiffany and Addie LOVE LOVE LOVE their little sister.


This is post epidural
It looks like I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before







First Bath







Heavily drugged, freshly showered, pain free, and happy mom. 
This is the first time I could sit up in over 24 hours.  

Going Home

No comments:

Post a Comment